Wednesday 2 November 2011

David Stern: Abusive Commissioner



“You don’t know him like I do…he cares about me, he didn’t mean to hurt me.”  I plead with anyone who will listen, but it’s getting more and more difficult to defend his actions.  I believe the pain, and emotional turmoil I’m suffering is out of love, and disguised as misguided anger.  He truly cares, and once he’s back on his feet working fulltime, everything will be back to the way it was.  How can I turn my back on him, how can I forget all he has done for me?  After all, he’s been part of my life for as long as I can remember.  Last year was one of the most fortuitous times in our relationship, so the pain I feel now is just temporary right?  As much as I try to convince myself of this, it’s no longer true.  Eventually, I need to look myself in the mirror and be honest: he has changed. I can no longer write this off as a ‘rough patch’ in the relationship, because the ‘rough patch’ has become the relationship. 
Has David Stern turned into the ‘abusive spouse’ in the relationship between NBA Commissioner and fans of the NBA?  I believe so, and I’m done taking it.  Reports indicate that talks broke down between the Union and Owners on Friday, and things became heated:  Billy Hunter apparently closed his books and stormed off; David Stern laughed maniacally atop his throne; and Jesus wept.  I’m not ready to ‘file for divorce’ from Stern just yet, but if he doesn’t make some drastic changes soon than I have no problem ‘staying in a shelter’ (watching NCAA basketball) while this all blows over.  Please, remember the good times David, and come back.  I don’t recognize this David Stern, I want my commissioner back.  Now, onto the drinking…

Tonight’s games – 3 (drink names in parentheses):

Chicago @ Dallas (white Russian): Ouch!  Right out the gates, a marquee, possibly NBA Finals matchup.  I predicted The Bulls taking this one with relative ease as Dallas would be suffering from the proverbial championship hangover.  My favourite drink to cure a hangover is a white Russian with a cherry, so I sipped one of those.  Unfortunately my NBA-enduced hangover/withdrawal was still intact.

Houston @ Utah (Coors Light): No Yao, No DWill, No preservatives – a play on an old Coors marketing slogan.  This game would maybe get 4th quarter attention on League Pass. [Pffftt, who am I kidding?  Opening night every game get full attention…stay strong Bombay, stay strong].

Oklahoma City @ LA Lakers (40oz Colt45):  Good Jesus!  I don’t know what’s more painful, the booze in my gut, or looking over the schedule seeing what I’m missing.  Durantula’s summer has been well documented, and he looks poised to win more than scoring titles when play resumes.  This one hurt, so I had a drink that is both nostalgic and tough to swallow, and yes, I did pour out some liquor for our beloved NBA.   

Got more drunk than I should have with only three games on tap (ha, ‘on tap’), thanks to the 40oz of malt liquor, but I was doing what Mobb Deep says “drink away the pain”.   Make sure you stop by tomorrow as there is 13 games scheduled for November 2nd…F***!


No comments:

Post a Comment